Saturday, June 26, 2010

I CAN SEE MY REFRIGERATOR FROM HERE.

SATURDAY 6.26 ... DAY 10... THE END IS IN SIGHT
There is just nothing like the warm sun burning the morning haze off the coast. All at once warm and cool, it eases you into the day like waking up to a whisper or a lullaby rather than a buzzing clock. Under the morning fog we cleaned the camel enclosure, swept the tent and walked the dogs. Gil does his yoga (which has gotten easier and easier since the Camel Milk Challenge Diet) while I relax in the tent and gather my thoughts about this "adventure".
I would like to say this diet of camel milk, dates and water has been easy for me too... but it is hard! Partly because we just are not getting enough milk. Jamila was the best choice to bring to the fair for our show... her five-week-old calf, Diego, is a fantastic attraction. But she isn't giving us enough milk. Partly because she is stubborn about it but also because she just isn't a big producer. When she does drop her milk, Gil often gets less than a pound. I am grateful we aren't crossing the desert with this camel.
Interestingly, we have been getting reports from new friends across the globe that say the nomads also consume quite a bit of rice, lintels and bread along with the milk and dates. THANKS! I wish we had known that before we committed to our crazily restricted diet! I would love a bowl of rice! Those contestants on Survivor have it made!
I am looking forward to Tuesday night like crazy! Although we have to ease on to regular food slowly, I am looking so forward to eating something besides dates. Gratefully, the milk part of the Challenge has been delicious! It really is the lightest, loveliest tasting milk I have ever had. Too bad we didn't have more.
I've lost I've lost 13 pounds. Which is always nice I suppose but I am anxious to bring this strict diet to a close. Yesterday I started getting heart "flutterings". Fairly strong ones too. I can actually feel a smallish one right now. I'm not sure why. I would like to get a blood test to see what I am low on. I'm going in to have my elbow x-rayed on the 1st, perhaps I can schedule a blood test then as well. Anyone have any suggestions about what sort of deficiency could cause your heart to feel like it is fluttering?
Three shows today, three shows tomorrow; then home Monday to do laundry and take care of errands. We should have enough milk to get take home and get us through Monday and then we'll milk on Tuesday during shows. Tuesday night the Challenge Diet ends.
Gil and I have decided to stay on the diet as much as Jamila will give milk for and "modify" it by adding rice, salt, and simple nomadic breads. Maybe also some nuts and seeds and... well I'm just not sure yet.
We are both very sure that when we do our one month death valley crossing, we will not do it on camel milk, dates and water alone. So while we are still in sync with this diet, we'll try adding some things.
Although this has been rough on the appetite, this experience has been abundant food for the soul. Doing the shows and sharing our experiences with everyone is wonderful. All day long, people come up to Gil and I at Camp Camelot next to the Camel Exhibit to wish us well, sometimes tease a bit, and mostly, encourage us! People we've never even met before. I think that is my favorite part of this whole thing!
Four more days... I can do it!
You can follow us on twitter, become a fan of the Oasis Camel Dairy on Facebook and become a member of our farm family by joining on line at www.cameldairy.com
Thanks so much for your positive thoughts and support!

No comments:

Post a Comment